Thursday, November 18, 2010

A promise is made


So I made a promise to myself that might be a little difficult to keep, but I'm going to try my best. After the whole issue with Amazon last week - the one where they were defending their choice to sell a very questionable (horrible) book - I decided that I would take my Christmas shopping elsewhere. I am still very sure about my decision, but oh my goodness, it's going to be hard. For the last couple of years I've done 90% of my shopping with them - great prices and free shipping really can't be beat. Except when you really start to think about WHERE your money's going and what kind of people are benefitting from your spending. I've decided that they won't benefit from my money, and the more I type/think about this the madder I get. So I'm going to stop now. Ahem.


Anyway, I do have a point. I'm going to buy handmade and/or local for all of my Christmas gifts this year. This means no Target, no Books-A-Million, no Kohl's. Instead, it means Taylor Books, Kid Country Toys, Etsy. Doesn't that sound so much better, anyway? I know how awesome it feels when people choose to spend their hard-earned money on something I've made - my cheeks get pink and my heart gets all tingly. It rocks. So I'm going to do my best to pass on that feeling this year. I've already bought one handmade gift and I love it. The only downside is that it will take a bit more time, but really, that's a good thing. More intentional, more heartfelt, more deliberate. Thinking about the person I'm buying for - what are their favorite things? What do they love to do? How can I support a great cause while shopping? Instead of running (sometimes literally) through Target on December 23rd, I purpose to be more thoughtful this year. Will you please hold me to it?
 
Let Love Grow shirt from lovepalm21
Here are a few things I have marked....although some of them are things I would like to receive rather than give. Funny how that works. 

Rya Necklace from 31 Bits

from Mary Kate McDevitt




8 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea! Don't forget Cornicopia (and all the other wonderful Bridge Road shops) or the ReStore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great promise and I agree wholeheartedly with this. Of course the whole Amazon thing is reason enough but there are actually many others to shop locally. Think and act local. The community & culture you save may be your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ME, TOO, Stephanie. I was just sick at heart, and had the exact same reaction.

    I feel like it's making me a bit more thoughtful about the gifts I'm giving, too, because I'm having to work harder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am here via Inspired Ideas. I have been a great fan of Amy Powers, and have taken a blog hiatus, due to busy-ness, and I cannot believe all of the wonderful things I am finding, anyway, your blog is wonderful, and your "About me" well stated! I too agree with you Amazon decision. There are too many companies out there doing hard work for business, and I think your business may be well more appreciated elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Handmade is definitely the way to go! I am planning my wedding and almost everything I've got so far (including my dress) I found on Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made that same decision about Amazon. It has been fun to be more creative with gifts this year. I love more intentional handmade gifts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete