Wednesday, January 20, 2010

This and that

I'm making a baby quilt to donate to raise money for the earthquake victims, and as you can see I have helpers! They are so cute and got such a thrill from smoothing out the batting. I've also discovered that it is SO much easier to baste a quilt on the dining room table rather than the floor! Love those baby quilts.


I decided to go with a gray/yellow color scheme - I've had these fabrics piled together for ages and it was so fun to finally play with them. I can honestly say that I won't be sad to never sew with triangles again - they are so fussy! All that bias stretching and getting distorted when you iron them.....but I do love the way they look, and this quilt has been calling to me for a long time. Maybe I'll give it a while and try again.


I found these potholders that I pieced and quilted over 2 years ago in my unfinished projects basket and decided to tackle them. They just needed binding sewn on, and I've been enjoying hand-stitching it when we're in the car. I can't decide whether to put grommets in them or sew loops of trim for hanging - thoughts? I love the look of grommets but would need to install a hook to hang them from. The loops are a little more practical, I guess.


I got this International Quilt Festival magazine for Christmas, and I have loved poring over it again and again. Josh and I sat for the longest time and stared at the prize-winning quilts - they are incredible! The details are amazing, which they would have to be to keep a man's attention for longer than 5 minutes. There are several projects I want to make from this, and first on my list is this organizer - I think I'll make several to have on hand for gift giving.


I'm off to lay on the sofa and rest - the girl and I have a tummy bug. She threw up all over Target today and I think ruined the novelty of cherry slushies forever. So sad.


6 comments:

  1. The quilt is gorgeous! And poor things - throwing up is horrible but in Target - ugh! I love the potholders - I love the look of grommets too but I'd go for whatever is more practical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very pretty quilt!! whoever ends up with it will be very lucky

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice...hmm...grommets are cool..hope your little one is feeling better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love love love the grey and yellow together! I think that is one of my favorite quilt patterns to use

    ReplyDelete
  5. what's a grommet? not wallace's friend?

    oh man, poor brainz, raxing all of her cherry icee. i like the blue better anyhow.

    xx, mer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the yellow/grey quilt!! Your potholders are gorgeous too. Hope you feel better soon x

    ReplyDelete